Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Healthy Foods - What is in a Name?

I was having a conversation with a friend about the way kids perceive things. I commented that a kids reaction to something is often related to how we name something. For instance, I give my kids Fiber One bars for snacks and for breakfast on occasion. I buy the chocolate oat ones. They have mini chocolate chips in them and are drizzled with chocolate. I call them "cookie bars" because they have the chocolate chips like a chocolate chip cookie. My kids love them and think they are a special treat; if you could only see how excited they are to be able to have a cookie bar for breakfast. Another example would be zucchini bread. My middle child loves all things chocolate and does not particularly care for most fruits or vegetables (I struggle to get him to eat these). I have a chocolate zucchini bread recipe from Cooking Light; in my house this recipe is called chocolate bread. He can't get enough of this when I make it!

I will also make homemade fruit bars from frozen fruit and orange juice. I toss all kinds of fruit in there...bananas, cherries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, mango, peaches (you get the idea) and I call these "popsicles" and my kids beg me for them. My kids believe that smoothies are a form of ice cream. I have given my kids breaded eggplant and called it "fried crunchies."

I never realized how much of parenting is truly a "creative art." I would love to hear from other parents on creative tactics they have used to get their kids to eat healthy foods.

0 comments:

Post a Comment