Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recipe Saver #1 - Turkey Dip with Tortillas

As all busy moms know coming up with a quick and healthy meal is not always easy. I am going to begin posting healthy meal ideas that I keep in my back pocket as recipe savers. The first is a turkey meat dip. I know...I know...before you knock the turkey idea I beg you to just try this one before discarding it. I love all kinds of meat, but this one is pretty good and you would never know it is turkey. I use this when I am very short on time or debating doing some sort of take out. My kids don't normally get chips so this one is a treat for them.

The Ingredients:

1 lb 93/7 Jennie-O Ground Turkey (This is the healthiest ground turkey I have been able to find)
2 tsp Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipolte Seasoning or more to taste (I have also used Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning)
1 to 1 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
Salt to Taste
Pepper to taste
Bag of your favorite tostado/tortilla chips

Directions:
1. Brown Turkey over a medium heat in a skillet
2. Drain Turkey if desired (or if you are using a fattier turkey)
3. Place turkey back in the skillet and add the seasoning, salt, pepper, and salsa.
4. Heat on a low to medium heat until it is hot.
5. Taste and add additional seasoning if desired.
6. Place in a bowl and serve with chips.

To make sure I get a fruit or vegetable in the meal for the kids, for dessert I either 1) cut up apple slices and serve with either a little peanut butter or carmel dip or 2) cut up celery sticks and put on peanut butter and raisins.  Dinner in a matter of minutes and a lot healthier than take out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment